Permit / Applications
To assist you with the successful processing of your zoning application and answer any zoning related questions you may have, please review the provided information below.
- Select the appropriate application form for your project from the list below.
- Complete the application and prepare any required plan drawings. If you are uncertain which application to use or what materials you need to provide please contact the Community Development Office at 937-433-3426. All applications include detailed instructions or examples regarding plot plans.
- Be sure to attach the required site plans with your completed application. Please do not use any sample drawings and instead create your own.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted or begin processing until all the information or required materials are provided.
- Please note, we do not accept payments in advance for Zoning Certificates and any payments received at the time of the application will be returned. You will be contacted with the total amount due after your application is reviewed.
- All Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals applications do require payments in advance. Checks can be made out to "Miami Township". All fees are listed on our fee schedule.
- Plans submitted for zoning certificate applications may be hand drawn and need not be to scale.
- Zoning Commission applications must include one scale-able copy of plans in either digital or physical format and one 11x17 physical copy.
- You may submit your completed application online by emailing all materials to email@example.com or you may bring them into our office located at 2700 Lyons Road.
General Permits - Zoning Certificates
For standard development or construction on your property, one of the following certificates may be necessary. Please allow up to two weeks for approval (once all required materials are submitted).
- Fence Permit (PDF)
- Residential or Commercial Fence construction
- Signage Permit (PDF)
- Any wall, free-standing, or event based signage.
- Temporary Sign Registration Form (PDF)
- For temporary signs that are larger than 32 square feet
- General Zoning Certificate (PDF)
- Primary structures, accessory structures, facade renovations or any other construction on a property.
- Declaration of Intent - Agricultural Exemption (PDF)
- Within the "A" Agricultural District, this form allows for the construction of a structure without a Zoning Certificate. This exemption is permitted only for buildings that will be used solely for agricultural purposes and not for general storage or event structures.
Board of Zoning Appeals
Prior to completing the forms below, please contact a member of the Community Development Staff to discuss your application. Please note that all Board of Zoning Appeals applications require notarized signatures of the property owner and all fees must be paid at the time of the application.
- Variance (PDF)
- On lots, parking counts, landscaping requirements, setbacks, sign height or area, etc.
- Conditional Use (PDF)
- Permits specific uses within a district, non-compliant lot splits, etc.
- Administrative Appeal (PDF)
- Used to appeal the decision or interpretation of the Zoning Inspector, Staff, or the code.
- Non-Conforming Use Modification (PDF)
- To allow the expansion, repair, alteration, or reduction in a non-conforming use or structure
Prior to completing the forms below, please contact a member of the Community Development Staff to discuss your application. When submitting site plans for the Zoning Commission please provide at least one set of physical plans 11 x 17 preferred (or larger) and a second scale-able set of digital OR physical plans. Please note that all Zoning Commission applications require notarized signatures of the property owner and all fees must be paid at the time of the application.
- Rezoning (Zoning Map Amendment)
- To change the zoning of a property from one district to another. Not for modification into a Planned Development.
- Site Plan Review (SPR)
- For approval under Article 7 of the Zoning Resolution. This includes all new construction within a B-3 or B-4 district if it does not meet the Administrative Review process.
- Architectural Sign Package (ASP)
- Process to allow unique signage packages for large retail centers.
- Landscape Site Review (LSR)
- Process to allow unique landscaping design for retail centers.
- Austin Center General Development Plan (ACGD)
- Development approval process for all parcels with an Austin Center "AC" designation.
- Outdoor Advertising (OA)
- Approval of any outdoor advertising sign that meets certain criteria.
- Zoning Text Amendment - Contact Staff
Planned Development Requests To change the zoning of a property into a Planned Development two options are available - to provide a preliminary plan with general site design and development standards or to provide full development materials, including site, landscaping, lighting, and building elevations.
- Rezoning with Preliminary Development Plan (RZ-PDP)
- Rezoning with Preliminary Development Plan and Final Development Plan (RZ-PDP-FDP)
- Major Modification to Preliminary Development Plan (MJM to PDP)
- To make a modification to a previously approved Preliminary or Final Development Plan.
- Final Development Plan / Tenant Fit Up (FDP)
- To finalize a portion of a Planned Development that already has a Preliminary Development Plan in place.
- Used to permit final tenant fit ups for buildings already approved.
- Major Modification to Final Development Plan (MJM to FDP)
- Minor Modification to FDP (MM)
- Administrative / Staff Level Approval
- To permit minor changes to a previously approved Final Development Plan. Generally for small landscaping, lighting, or signage modifications.
Please fill in all the information requested on the form. If you have any questions concerning the application, please call the Community Development Office at 937-433-3426 for assistance.